Here is a quote I came across in a recent Runner’s World article:
“The challenges we each encounter are uniquely ours, but they will come. We all have good years and bad. Shift happens”
Hmmm? Yep that one made me think. I agree with MOST of its sentiment, except sometimes I think we all face some similar challenges (that we may think are unique). It is certainly true that our challenges take on a unique “life” based on our past and current situations. But I am a strong believer that our challenges, and the ability to share them, are what connect us in this world.
Here is what is on my challenge list lately . . .
- Money concerns – how are we going to pay for daycare again? how much are baby gates going to cost? why am I spending so much at BJ’s?
- Listening to people’s advice but not letting it “get” to me- taking it for what is is, advice.
- Having confidence in WHERE I am.
- Celebrating the right things and letting go of the negative
- Learning how to stand up for myself- bullies (even ones disguised as co-workers) are still bullies
- Accepting that I am not the person I was . . . and that is a good thing.
- Allowing myself to set goals (and not being afraid to fail)
- Being kind to myself
- Learning how to be a mom AND a wife AND a runner AND a daughter AND a sister AND a friend- and forgiving myself if I can’t do ALL well ALL of the time.
I can’t be completely alone on these things, right?
To balance it out, here are the things I am doing well (I think)
- Accepting love and guidance from my “girls” (as much as I am able to at the moment)
- Staying in tune and in touch with my needs as a person- a nap here, a book there
- Treasuring the joy of being a runner again
- Staying in the moment when I am spending time with little Miss P
- Remembering that other people’s lives are occurring- trying not to forget the little things that let them know I care.
And for the end of the quote . . .”Shift happens.” Well all I have to say is thank goodness. I wouldn’t be where I am today if “shift” or “shit” (lol) didn’t happen.